Saturday, March 5, 2016

My review of A Life Less Monogamous, by Cooper S. Beckett.

Ryan and Jennifer are a couple who’s monogamous marriage is growing sexually stale. They meet a swinger couple and decide to do something bold. In the process they discover themselves.

This is the story line in A Life Less Monogamous – a novel about swinging by Cooper S. Beckett.

When people ask me about opening up their marriage, I advise them to imagine what it’s going to be like; then be prepared for the experience to be unlike anything they have imagined.

For Cindy and I, like Ryan and Jennifer in the book, ethical non-monogamy was an amazing journey of sexual as well as almost spiritual discovery of others and of ourselves. For me, it continues to be.

Cooper’s book is very human. It touches on the raw feelings and yes, emotions, that are often brought up by the various forms of non-monogamy. If you are already ethically non-monogamous, read this book and be prepared to ask yourselves new questions about your experiences. I know I did.

If you are monogamous, considering non-monogamy, this is a must read. It’s a great book even though it’s not a how-to manual.

If I have one minor nit is there seems to be an emerging narrative of non-monogamy stories embracing non-monogamy as a cure for relationship bed death. Yes, it can be that. I am concerned that this may emerge as building a use case for non-monogamy as a prescription, rather than non-monogamy being seen as an opportunity for fulfillment and discovery and authenticity as I believe non-monogamy can be.

Thank you Cooper S. Beckett, this is a great book. I think we need more ethical non-monogamy fiction. Stories like this build a case for ethical non-monogamy not only being possible, but also for ethical non-monogamy providing an opportunity for growth.

I may have to get Cooper to sign my Kindle, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment