Monday, October 31, 2016

My Review of Wide Open, by Gracie X

Almost a year ago I wrote about starting to read Gracie X's excellent bookNot only did I read it, I read it twice; within about six month's. I never do that. I never reviewed it on this blog (an oversight) after I finished it. The following review was actually written about six months ago (after my second reading) for another venue. Sorry for the delay, but this is still true. Gracie is a smart visual writer and she continues to inspire me:

This is my favorite polyamory book...

I think Gracie's memoir can be compared to The Price of Salt, the book that inspired the movie Carol. The plot of Wide Open is similar in some respects to the plot of Carol, but in a more contemporary setting. If you look over time at the arc of change from the 1950s (when The Price of Salt was written) to now, our culture has been through a change from rigidity and non-acceptance to more flexibility, more tolerance and greater acceptance. I think that's a good thing. But, we have a long way to go.

No matter where you stand on ethical non-monogamy; the ideas are important here. Just as it was for same sex couples in the 50s, the rights of people to define their relationships and their own lives and shape their families need to be respected.

When done with the best interests of the children in mind, polyamorous families are good families. This is that story. Gracie X is a great mom and an excellent writer. This book is very well written and her intelligence shows. I recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment