Monday, April 22, 2019

Camel Trips

“The two important things that I did learn were that you are as powerful and strong as you allow yourself to be, and that the most difficult part of any endeavour is taking the first step, making the first decision.”
― Robyn Davidson, Tracks

Tracks, the book by Robyn Davidson, was the right book at the right time in my life. It prepared me for my own camel trip (seemingly impossible task) when suddenly my life changed in a flash. It also taught me about the power of manifestation, about how you can be as powerful as you allow yourself to be, something I now call "being the witch." I did not have those words for it then, but it was a lesson I had to learn damn fast!

Camel Trips is a term I use for doing that really hard thing, like a woman's solo trek across 1700 miles of Australian outback. It can also be hiking the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail), or loosing weight, or leaving a bad relationship, or suddenly becoming a working single parent, or changing your gender identification, sexual or relationship orientation, coming out of the closet or leaving a bad job or facing the devastating loss from your life of a dear love.

My inspiration was Robyn Davidson's book Tracks. Wild, the book by Cheryl Strayed, is another such story. I am sure there are many many more.

Camel Trips are important. I believe we should not shy away from them. They are the stories of our lives that define us. Camel Trips are the forge. We emerge from them changed from iron to steel. They teach us we are as strong as we allow ourselves to be. A bit of a warning though, Camel Trips never end, they merely change form.

No comments:

Post a Comment