Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Why poly matters

I think polyamory is most important because it provides a framework for people who are not monogamous by nature, to live an ethical life. Before polyamory the only way non-monogamous people, I am talking especially about people who are emotionally non-monogamous by nature, could live ethically was to deny their/our feelings. There was no way they/we could ethically be themselves/ourselves.

We would have to lie to ourselves, and to others, even when we were ethically physically monogamous. It's possible when you have romantic feelings for multiple people to not act on those feelings. But, that does not make those feelings not real and does not change who you are by nature. Not acting on feelings does not mean the feelings don't exist and does not mean you are not non-monogamous by nature.

Being married to Cindy did not keep me from falling in love with Mary, for example. Even had Mary and I never acted on that, we still would have felt it; I know I would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment