Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Sex and Poly in the media

It seems interesting to me that a lot of what I see of polyamory in the media focuses on the sexual aspects of some folks' expression of poly. I think it's good that poly is getting out there. I think it's also good that people know there's more than one way to live sexually.
But, sex does not define polyamory. There is no contradiction in the term asexual polyamory. Sex alone is such a narrow perspective of some people's poly experience. Monogamy is not expressed that way in the media. In the media sexual expressions on monogamous relationships are more the exception than the norm. It's different in most representations of polyamory. I don't see much in the media that focuses on the emotional aspects of poly; on the experience of shared lives, love, affection, changing and growth over time of long term loving poly relationships and families.
Sex is not what defines polyamory, love and honesty is. I don't think that message is getting out in the media.

No comments:

Post a Comment