Monday, September 29, 2014

Memories and pain

Memories are fickle and non linear. Memories are sometimes as much a statement of who we are now as of who we were then. We remember with the knowledge of how things turn out, events that occurred when their outcomes were unknown. Memories are not always balanced or fair.

As I write about these remembrances there is surely much I have forgotten. I was young and I cannot ask either Cindy or Mary about their memories, since they are gone. They are my two angels in heaven now and someday I hope to join up with them again along with my current wife. I am sure I will have a lot of questions to ask and some apologies to make.

It wasn't easy. I remember fights and jealousies involving Cindy and I and between Mary and her husband Lenny. Like mothers who forget the pains of labor as they remember their baby's smile. There may be a lot more that I have forgotten because it hurts to remember.

Not remembering the pain does not mean it didn't happen. I don't remember ever arguing with Mary that does not mean it didn't happen. I do remember pain and a lot of drama in general. I remember there were tears. I don't want anybody to think this was easy and painless. The best parts hurt less to remember. Sometimes, we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into.

No comments:

Post a Comment