Monday, October 6, 2014

Her mom called

She was a journalist, in her mid twenties like me. She had a boyfriend and a promising career. I had an open marriage and a polyamorous lifestyle.

I met her in a class we were both taking. She was well traveled, smart and spoke several languages fluently. I really liked her.

We had several meals together and some great conversations. I can’t remember many details of our dates. I do remember the phone rang one day and it was her mother. She talked about her family and her boyfriend and I talked about my life situation. She knew my marriage was open. There was chemistry but I don’t think it went very far.

This was the 1980s, before cell phones, and I was glad I was the one who answered the phone at home. It was my lady friend's mom. Her mom did not like her daughter being involved with a married man no matter what the circumstances. She said, "shame on you!" I never saw the daughter again. I don’t remember if she even went to class again.

I wonder how my wife would have handled it had she answered the phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment